I discovered the lip blam 10 years ago and said goodbye to chapped lips. When I discovered my sodium lauryl sulfate allergy I switched to their toothpaste and saw the end of canker sores. Today I found my son - who had gotten into my makeup - with a mouthful of Burt's Bees Nutmeg Lip Shimmer. Despite the mess, I was relieved I didn't have to worry about the chemicals he ingested.
We all know to keep our bleach and other cleaners up high where baby can't get into them, but do we ever think about our personal care products? After all, nearly all makeup is considered "non-toxic".
This warning is found on Neutrogena liquid foundation : "For external use only. Avoid contact with eye area. If product gets into eyes, rinse thoroughly with water. Discontinue use if signs of irritation or rash appear. Keep this and all drugs out of reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately." Wow!
I wont claim to have a totally baby-proof home, I'm just very relieved at my choice of personal care items.
Later: How to make your own household cleaners (save money and keep kids safe!)